Here are tips and tricks that can help you in getting the most out of your Nokia 5800 Smart Phone.
This tips are also generally useful for the Nokia Series 60 Version 5 Symbian OS Phones such as 5800, 5230, etc
1. To bring out the Shortcuts on your Screen/Desktop-> Settings/Personal/Home Screen/Home Screen theme and select Shortcut bar, you can then select which shortcut to display if goto "Shortcuts". This will also bring out the "Track" playing being displayed when you open the Music Player.
2. Tap the Clock to bring out the Clock menu and make your alarm, alarm repeat is now built-in.
3. Tap the "General" or Date (the set Profile besides the clock) and the Profile selection menu pops out, almost similar to pressing the "Power" button in all S60, but here the Remove memory is not shown, but "Calendar" shortcut is included and the other profiles as well.
4. If you are on the Numeric Keypad, pressing the [#] key alternately will toggle the General and Silent Profiles, same as before, which means long press on zero  will bring out bookmarks for the Web.
5. Tapping on the displayed To do or Calendar entry will bring you immediately to that particular item.
6. Tapping the Active Icon on the Top Left (near the battery indicator) will give you shortcuts for any of the active icons.
7. Long press on the Green Call Button will still activate the Voice Command Prompt
8. Long press on the center button is similar to the Long press on the "Menu" key (the yin-yang key on most S60) which will bring out the menu for all the active applications.
9. Go to Applications/File Manager and setup "Backup" for automated backup schedule of your phone data.
10. How to update your Nokia 5800 firmware using your phone.
Presss *#0000# to display phone factory information and firmware
Now press options and select check for updates
The newest update is sent to your phone from nokia
Download and install updates.
This is done using GPRS or WIFI Connectivity.
1. Use Dialer and press # for about 2 seconds will switch the profile between Silent and General; press and hold 0 will open the web browser; press and hold 1 will open the voice mailbox
2. There is a shortcut key for Music, Gallery, Share, Video, Web shortcut at the top right corner just below the front camera
3. Press and hold the Green caller button when standby mode will activate the voice command. You could call the name from the contact or application name.
4. Organize your sms by grouping them like outlook by Messaging -> Option -> Setting -> Text message -> Other -> Show messages in groups -> Yes
5. Notification light will blink if there is unread sms/missed call. It could be turned off at Settings -> Notification light -> Off
6. If the touch input is not accurate, you could calibrate your screen at Touch Input-> Touch Screen Calibration -> ( Tap around the 4 dots at the corner)
7. Turning control functions:
a. Rotate your screen horizontal or vertical
b. Silence your phone for incoming call by rotate your phone with screen facing down.
c. Snooze the alarm by rotating phone screen facing down
8. Theme effect will give 3D and transition effect if on but will slow down your tube considerably. Settings -> Personal -> Themes -> General -> Themes effects -> On/Off
9. Shortcut to exit application : Press and hold the middle white button then press and hold the program that you wish to quit, an open/exit option will pop out (useful for those haven’t install handy taskman yet)
10. When using handwriting input, slide from left to right is Spacebar, right to left is Backspace
11. Organize your menu by Menu -> option -> organize. You could drag and drop the location of the application you wish to relocate.
Battery saving Tips:
1. Always turn off wireless scanning, Bluetooth when not in use
2. For those not using 3G, choose your network mode to “GSM” instead of “Dual mode” which will consume more battery. Settings -> Connectivity -> Network mode -> GSM
3. Less Display Light
a. Setting -> Phone -> Display -> light sensor (move the slider to the left)
b. Setting -> Phone -> Display -> Light Time-Out (lesser time to save battery but annoying if too short while you are playing games)
4. Always terminate the application properly that is not using by using Option ->Exit. It might be running background and consuming battery which you don’t know.
Memory Saving Tips:
1. Restart your phone if the memory less than 30MB, you could either soft reset (User a dialer and dial 5 * * then call) or hard reset by pressing the power button
2. Use Handy Taskman to close all application regularly or kill application that is not in use.
Camera & Picture tips:
1. Some noise could be reduced if set the ISO sensitivity to low instead of auto.
2. When viewing pictures, you could use your stylus to view for previous (slide left) or next (slide right) picture like iphone feature.
Video Conversion Tips:
For converting video that is high quality to play at 5800, should use the mp4 format as below (All is 16:9 widescreen):
a) Xvid @ 678kbps resolution 480×272
b) Xvid @794kpbs resolution 640×352
c) H.264 @ 512kbps resolution 400×224
d) H.264 @ 550kbps resolution 400×224 (Recommended)
1. If you can’t find your songs after transferring from your pc to memory card, go to music player -> Option -> Refresh library
1. Always install your phone theme on the memory cards. This is because if some theme does not work (Christmas tree) then you need to flash your phone.
2. Uninstall your application in proper way. Use Menu -> Setting -> Application mgr. -> Installed apps -> Choose application then option n uninstall
Subscribe via RSS or Subscribe by Email.
Like TechBase on Facebook